Monday, January 17, 2011

Lesson No. 2: A New Wei(ght) of Life

Let me introduce you to the 'Wheel of Fat'.



That's right, 2 weeks ago I met my new best friend....this...twisty..fiddly..round wheel of confusion.

Last October, I had a revelation... I was in fact almost 2 stone overweight. I'm not sure who was more surprised, me or the scales who had been abandoned for many months.

Love is life changing...it is also life fattening! So I'm blaming love and contentedness. It could not possibly have been the larger than life portions of pasta that I'd been eating up to 3 times a week, or the sneaky Happy Meals from McDonalds (not actually that happy when it comes to my torso) or the smelly garlic mushrooms every Friday night (accompanied by the potato pie, breast in a bun and pineapple fritter). Mmmmmmm, ok this nostalgia is doing me no good whatsoever.

Anyway...after years of 'being happy with my curvy, real woman body' and being vehemently opposed to any measures that meant restricting my food intake, I realised I had to wake up and smell the Ryvita.

A month and a half on, I'd dropped a stone following the Weightwatchers programme and all was well with the world (and with the buttons on my jeans!).

Then came ...... ProPoints !!!!!! And the 'Wheel of Fat'.

One week into this new "programme" I was a 1/2 a pound up, totally disillusioned and possessed 1 or 2 paper cut fingers from twisting this wheel thing-a-majig.

Last Thursday, I bought the Weighwatchers ProPoints calculator and probably became a victim of effective marketing. However, for all my whinging at the demise of the old Points progmme, I have embraced the calculator and disposed with my beloved  (ahem) 'Wheel of Fat'. I have a renewed sense of enthusiasm.





The Lesson:

  • Preparation is key ladies.
  • Braeburn Apples are our friend - I hadn't eaten an apple in about 5 years but these are snack sized and don't send bitter juice into the eyes of my colleagues at lunch time.
  • Just because fruit is not point free, does not mean my digestive system is open to this 'eat all you want' approach. Not pleasant I know but ladies and gents you have been warned.
  • No pain, no gain.

2 comments:

SJ said...

I rejoined last week and its taken me all week to get any hang of the propoints .. weigh in at lunchtime will tell allot!
Think am going to wait til payday and next week buy the "12 weeks for the price of 10 plus free calculator" deal! Saves me €30 all in ... more money for new clothes when I lose a stone ;-))
Well done you on all the weight loss and like the blog !

itsnevertoolatetolearn said...

Sarah-jane, will I ask how you got on at lunchtime today.....??
If you're anything like me it'll be a bit of a rollercoaster of ups and downs!!! :)
Thanks for the comment xx