Friday, March 25, 2011

Lesson No.7: How to set the Fruit loose


Let me start by saying Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom.......(can be translated into: Yummy Yummy Yummy and is used in the context of describing food).

Fruit is not my friend.

It could be something to do with my childhood.
As a child/teen I adorned myself with that oh so fashionable teen accessory which were a set of traintracks (ahem).

Anyone who has had to suffer this will know not only does one have trouble with one's appearance, particularly in photographs, but also the inconvenience of food getting lodged behind the wires.



It was at this time in my life that my relationship with the Granny Smith apple came to an end.
(I must add this was coupled with a fear of choking on a giant apple piece, presumably influenced by some medical drama scene).


Eating a banana whole has also been known to make me gag......(I know what you're thinking ladies and take your minds out of the gutters ;) )


 

Once, I ate a plum which also was double jobbing as a home to a worm as well as its day job of being a source of nutrients and vitamins. There ended another 'fruitful' relationship....(excuse the pun).

worm


Bearing all this in mind, it will come as no surprise to you that I've never, yes never, had a fruit smoothie; unless you count a sip out of one about 6 years ago.

Imagine my own astonishment when as I walked past the juice bar in the shopping centre on Tuesday I found myself gravitating towards it. Shock Horror.

I am guessing that the staff never saw someone peruse their menu for quite so long!!

Finally I settled on a Raspberry Rush....a mix of raspberries, oranges, banana, and low fat natural yogurt.

I can safely say that here begins a new chapter in my relationship with fruit.



The lesson here ladies and gentlemen is to squash / blitz / blend / liquidise or whatever it takes to pulverise the fruit into submission until it resembles this DELICIOUS 'treat'. If I can be converted, anyone can.

6 comments:

Soooali said...

Brilliant blog! So glad you stopped by, it made me discover this! Love it!

ArtDonatella said...

Oh, God you are funny & smart! Love your blog, keep writing!!!

itsnevertoolatetolearn said...

Thanks so much girls!!! Still finding my feet in this whole blogging thing. Loving it loads so I'm glad other people think it's worth taking a look at xx

Sarah said...

Oh god, plums are the devils work. Smoothies are nice though. I'm not big into fruits and veg, but I did invest in a juicer once, probably the best buy ever - and it saves you loads if you want to make your own at home (I'm not a juicer salesperson btw)!

itsnevertoolatetolearn said...

@ Sarah - On Saturday, I went 'healthy food' shopping - a random event that happens every now again...and I bought ...a plum. I haven't eaten one since that incident all those years ago. Needless to mention, the plum is STILL in the fruit bowl. As for making my own smoothies...I tried that out on Sunday. All shall be revealed during the week...haha.
Thanks a mill for the comment xx

Breige said...

Glad I'm not the only person who doesn't like bananas! I hate the texture of them.

I totally need to eat more fruit and veg!